This week’s deals feature a two-site package from Empire Flippers in the travel information niche and 2 websites from our private Facebook group in the gaming and recipes niches. We also cover an aged domain in the board games niche from Odys.
For domains, we share findings on aged SEO and branded domains live at GoDaddy auctions.
Aged Domain: TableTopWire.com
Niche: Tabletop Games
Source: Odys Global (see listing here)
Age: 2017 (5 Years)
Listed Price: $3,420
Notable links: Wikipedia, Gizmodo, Polygon, GeekDad, TechRaptor, and more.
This domain used to be a news site covering the board game industry.
The site received relevant links about board game news from high-authority tech sites like Gizmodo and Polygon. The site was still active until early 2021.
The domain name is fairly broad so the site could cover any game that is played on a table including board games, card games, ping pong, air hockey, jigsaw puzzles, and tabletop arcades.
Here’s what the site looked like:
This domain is a good fit to be relaunched as an informational site about board games, card games, and other tabletop games.
According to Forbes, global sales of playing cards and board games are growing and reached $13.75 billion in 2021. Pokemon playing cards have surged in popularity with the company selling 3.7 billion cards in one year. The tabletop RPG Dungeons and Dragons have had a resurgence and recently surpassed 50 million players according to the company.
BoardGameQuest.com is a good example of a successful site in this niche. It has 70K organic traffic according to AHREFs and their 2022 board game gift guide shows a counter with over 30K pageviews.
Another interesting example is GameRules with 139K organic traffic according to AHREFs. This site covers the rules of many classic card games like hearts and gin rummy.
Here’s what I would do:
- Relaunch the homepage with a similar news magazine layout to maintain consistency with the original site
- Publish buying guides like “best board games for X” (e.g., “best board games for 3 people” has a KD of 2 and volume of 150)
- Publish listicles of [brand] + “board games” (e.g., “naruto board games” has a KD of 0 and volume of 600)
- Publish informational articles answering questions about the rules of popular games (e.g., “can you stack skips in uno” has a KD 0 and volume of 150)
- Cover board game industry news like sales numbers and new board game releases. This will help the site attract natural links from media sites.
Monetization could include a combination of display ads and Amazon Associate links to the many different types of tabletop games. Some gaming tables like arcade tables, poker tables, and air hockey tables can cost hundreds of dollars and earn a high commission per sale.
You could also help independent game makers or brands to promote their new board games with a sponsored review or press release.
2-Year-Old Travel Information Sites Making $4,297/mo on Empire Flippers
Niche: Travel, Information
Source: Empire Flippers (see listing)
Profit: $4,297/mo from Mediavine ads and insurance affiliate programs
Asking Price: $150,381 at a 35X multiple using an 8-month average
Due Diligence Dashboard
- The revenue is evenly divided between display ads and affiliate revenue
- High average affiliate commissions
- 469 articles already published (347 and 122 on each site)
- Traffic well distributed amongst top pages (max of ~7% to top page)
- Content is overlapping between the two sites: both are targeting “What are good salaries in XYZ country” queries
- Top 5 articles for the main site has an average of 20% plagiarism score
- Recent Google updates targeting content quality hit the bigger site (23.59% traffic loss)
- Second site is only 6 months old
- Merge two sites to increase traffic and authority
- Conduct keyword research targeting US traffic
- Add better-designed CTAs to affiliate content
- Consider adding lead generation forms in the sidebar for the insurance affiliates
This is a promising two sites package deal in the travel information niche. Both sites have similar content, with the traffic evenly split between the two (65%-35%).
Unfortunately, the recent Google updates targeting content quality hit the more prominent site, losing 23.59% of traffic. The smaller one wasn’t impacted, but the content is almost identical, so it should be monitored.
The owner added insurance affiliate content with high commissions. While it is getting 42% of all revenue, it is under-monetized, as there is a lack of well-placed CTAs or lead generation forms.
US traffic isn’t leading the pack, so the new owner should focus on US-based traffic, which will improve display ad revenue.
🚀 Off-Market Sites
The Website Flip runs a Facebook group where sellers can list sites for sale. Here is a selection of a few sites:
- $1K/mo Video Game Niche Site: 1-year-old site earning via Adsense with $1K per month average over the last 6 months. Pageviews over 70K for the last 4 months. Over 450 articles published.
- $300/mo Dessert Recipe Niche Site: 3-year-old site earning via Adsense and a large email list. Email list with 22k subscribers has earned between $300-$800 per month when utilized. 235 articles published.
🚀 Aged & Brandable Domains
Aged domains currently bidding from $74 to $2,122 at the time of writing.
- LatinFoodsMarket.com: Started in 2014, this was an e-commerce site selling items from Latin American countries. It has a DR of 40 and is ranking for 2,184 keywords with backlinks from Eater, ConsumerAffairs and FDA.
- FreeBusinessForms.com: Was a site offering free business and legal forms starting in 2000. It has a DR of 11 and ranks for 326 KWs. Backlinks from AOL, WikiHow and LawInsider.
- BusyBuildingThings.com: A Shopify store selling entrepreneur-related art prints started in 2012. It has a DR of 36 and ranks for 19 KWs. Backlinks from HuffPost, LIfeHacker and Behance.
- FashionHippieLoves.com: A personal fashion blog started in 2010 with a DR of 48 and ranking for 394 KWs. Backlinks from Pinterest and Elle.
- WeGamers.com: A communications app for gamers starting in 2014, it has a DR of 29 and is ranking for 14 KWs. Backlinks from AppAdvice and Fandom.
Branded domains bidding from $373 to $1,642 at the time of writing.
👉 Additional Resources
Make sure to perform detailed research and due diligence when acquiring any domains or websites. Here are resources you should read up on: