This week’s deals feature 2 Flippa sites in the gaming and general niches, a site on Empire Flippers in the pets niche, and an aged domain in the hosting/server niche from Odys marketplace.
For domains, we share data on 5 aged SEO domains and 7 branded domains live at auction. The SEO metrics are shared for each domain as well.
Let’s get into each deal!
Type: Aged Domain
Niche: Technology (servers)
Source: Odys Global (see listing here)
Age: 2011 (21 years old)
Listed Price: $2,400
Backlinks: Fortune, ServerFault
ServerAxis was a hosting service that offered virtual private servers (VPS). They operated for 2005 to 2017 roughly offering their services.
Here is a snapshot of the past site:
Server hosting is a lucrative and competitive niche. Therefore, starting on an aged domain is most likely the only way to go to get any traction. This is a very well-branded domain and has quality links to get you started.
However, do note that this is a very competitive niche. You will need more backlinks over time. This is not a “cheap” niche; you need a budget.
This is what I would do:
- Recreate the category pages such as “VPS”, “Infrastructure”, “Resources” as-is with long-form content
- Add more pages such as “Server Security”, “Dedicated Servers”, “Operating Systems”
- Recreate the inner pages that had backlinks. You can use AHREFs -> Best By Links report to find these pages.
- Add new content related to dedicated and VPS servers, tutorials on how to use different platforms (e.g., Cloudways, WPX), and informative guides (e.g., how to choose a provider, which features matter).
- Add affiliate content after the site gets traction (e.g., buying guides on the best servers)
Monetization in this niche should be primarily done via affiliate programs of the hosting companies. Server companies pay $50-$100 per sale (e.g., Cloudways pays $50). Diluting the site with display ads would not be ideal as you would just give clicks away. You want to focus the clicks on the affiliate programs.
1.5-Year Old Pet Site Making $3,586/mo on Empire Flippers
Type: Existing Content Site
Niche: Pet (cats)
Source: Empire Flippers
Revenue: $3,886/mo from display advertising, Amazon Affiliate, and other Affiliate partnerships
Asking Price: $158,173 at a 44X multiple using a 10-month average
- Top 3 pages make up less than 12% of the site’s evergreen traffic
- Almost 300 pages gives the site plenty of topical relevance
- Seller, who wrote most of the site’s content, has 10+ years of experience in the Veterinarian field
- Diversified revenue with its top 2 sources bringing in 55% and 40% of the site’s income
- Site’s traffic and earnings are consistently growing (ignoring the holiday spike)
- Site limited to niche (though large) due to domain
- Site is still young at less than 2 years
- Dip in ranking organic keywords according to Ahrefs
- Update old pages which can increase traffic (and ad earnings) by up to 20%, or about $450/month
- Perform CRO by improving CTAs on money pages which can increase affiliate revenue by up to 25%, or about $400/month
- Perform CRO to get more emails which will diversify traffic and can allow additional monetization strategies
- Building additional links to priority pages will improve the site’s authority, which can boost traffic and earnings
- Find additional affiliate programs to increase affiliate payout and further diversify revenue and can boost affiliate revenue up to 25%, or about $400/month
- Grow Pinterest to increase traffic and diversify traffic sources
- Improve EAT, which is important in this niche
If you are looking for a straightforward content site, you’ll definitely want to consider this evergreen pet website. As a content site on WordPress about a particular niche, it’s primed for a new owner to take over – even if the new owner has relatively little experience.
Although it has almost 300 articles, there are certainly plenty of topics to continue to write about, ensuring one of many long-term growth opportunities. What’s more interesting about this business is that there are a number of easy wins. There are two that we would prioritize.
- Performing CRO to improve affiliate revenue, which can net an additional $400/month. It might take a few months to get there with some a/b testing, but it’s a relatively low effort.
- Updating old and top content by improving internal linking, adding FAQs, schema, and doing Surfer SEO audits can increase traffic and revenue up to about $450/month
While the site is on an uptrend, it is still quite a young site. It has only been earning at this level for about 6 months. Despite this, we think the site has a great foundation and tremendous growth potential.
Type: Existing Content Site
Source: Flippa (see listing here)
Revenue: $839 over last 6-month average from Google Adsense
Due Diligence Dashboard
- 453 published articles
- High traffic with at least 200K+ pageviews per month
- High-traffic niche, low competition
- Existing YouTube account not being sold with the niche site; separate negotiation needs to take place
- No quality backlinks (no spam links either)
- Roughly 30% of traffic from Tier 1 countries (e.g., US, UK); not eligible for Mediavine or Adthrive with these metrics
- Switch monetization to Ezoic for a boost in revenues; expect around $8-$10 EPMV due to location of traffic
- Add game content with higher monetization value (e.g., Minecraft)
- Website redesign could be beneficial for on-page metrics
The gaming niche is always growing and will continue its uptrend. This is a high-traffic site covering low competition keywords for various online games.
The easiest win is to switch out Google Adsense for Ezoic. Apart from that, easy wins include doing a redesign of the site to increase on-page metrics.
Note: ask the seller for Google Adsense screenshots to verify the page RPM that he is getting. Relate that RPM with an estimated EPMV in this niche of around $10 to see if switching over would have a high impact.
With the current articles that are ranking, there are no simple affiliate easy wins. Content needs to be added targetting commercial keywords.
🚀 Other Sites For Sale
Here are a few sites that are listed on Flippa. I have not done a detailed analysis on these because they do not fully pass my due diligence but may be worth it for you. Do your own due diligence!
- MilitaryTimeConverter.org: Earns $155/mo via Ezoic and Amazon Associates. The site gets 10K pageviews with over 100+ article; optimization is needed. The domain is not brandable.
🚀 5 SEO Domains & 7 Brandable Domains
My team and I sifted through the marketplaces and found 5 aged SEO domains with quality backlinks and 7 branded domains that are live at auction.
5 SEO Domains
We share the AHREFs stats and also what the past site was about. View them below:
- Mixx.com: was a news/entertainment authority site from 2007 to 2011. Currently, DR of 75 with 73 keywords ranking in the top 100 spots. The site has been dormant since 2011, which has affected its KW rankings. With incoming links from the New York Times, CNN, Washington Post and a short, 4 character name, this domain is generating a lot of bidding interest; watch out for active trademarks as there are several for “Mixx”
- DigitalDirections.com: was an IT content site owned by Tata Consultancy Service. DR of 42 and not currently ranking for any keywords. Backlinks from TechTarget and Information Week. Currently bidding under $50, a bargain for the authority that comes with it and a very brandable name.
- SaltJar.com: a recipe and lifestyle blog with a DR of 24 and ranking for 715 food-related KW phrases. Backlinks from Huffington Post and Men’s Journal.
- PlasticJungle.com: was a gift card marketplace starting in 2006. The site redirected to CardCash.com from 2015 onwards. DR of 46 and backlinks from the New York Times, CNN, and The Wall Street Journal.
- NYBulletin.com: Was a New York news site starting in 2017. DR of 34 and backlinks from CNET, The Verge, Business Insider, and Variety. Currently bidding at $50, so well worth a look.
7 Brandable Domains
Brandable domain names on auction at the GoDaddy marketplace. Currently bidding in the 2 to 4 figure range.
If you are interested in any of the deals this week, go through the specific platforms and contact the sellers. Make sure to perform detailed research and due diligence when acquiring any domains or websites.
Here are resources you should read up on: