This week we review one website listed on the Investors Club marketplace in the personal care niche, and an aged domain in the firearm niche from Odys.
As for Flippa, I did a deep dive into one site in the tech niche. Overall, many of the sites listed have issues. This includes (1) being hit by updates, or (2) poor quality. I also picked 3 more sites that may be of interest but have issues, which I mention.
For domains, we share data on 5 aged SEO domains and 5 branded domains live at auction. The SEO metrics are shared for each domain as well.
Let’s get into each deal!
Flippa Site: OwlHowTo.com
Type: Existing Content Site
Niche: Technology (Linux)
Source: Flippa (see listing here)
Due Diligence Dashboard
- High-quality content written by a longtime Linux user and expert
- Quality backlinks from Linux-related niche sites and forums
- Growing month-over-month traffic
- Built on Ghost content management system, not Wordpress
- Very technical niche; writers are expensive
- More than 15% of traffic goes to one page on the site; however, it’s expected on such a small traffic site
- Add Ezoic display ads to monetize the 3,000 pageviews/mo. At $15 EPMV, that’s $45 per month of revenue
- Add commercial content with affiliate links to software and products in the space (SaaS, subscriptions, etc)
If you are looking for a “hobby” site created by an expert, this fits the definition. The individual who started this site is an expert in the field and the content shows that. The site is growing in traffic monthly and is receiving backlinks naturally.
Monetization can be done easily with display ads and affiliate programs. While Ezoic can be enabled immediately, the affiliate side of things will take time as none of the content on the site as it stands is monetizable with affiliate links.
The major drawback here is the Ghost CMS being used. It’s a new platform for most. I would recommend migrating the site to WordPress to make things easier to manage.
Type: Aged Domain
Source: Odys Global (see listing here)
Age: 2004 (18 years old)
Listed Price: $2,770
Backlinks: Wikipedia, Instructables, various niche relevant sites and forums
This used to be a dedicated blog and forum about pocket guns.
The firearm niche is lucrative, to say the least. This domain has interesting branding that could be built into a true authority site in the space.
Here is what I would do:
- Create a category about “pocket guns” and recreate the relevant articles with backlinks and topical match
- Include informational content to begin with (about 20 or so new articles)
- Let the site sit for 1-3 months to see if any traction
- Add other categories over time such as “rifles”
- Add product reviews and buying guides over time
Monetization in this niche can be done with direct affiliates through Brownells, SportsmanGuide, and various other smaller eCommerce brands. The best network to find such brands is Impact Radius and AvantLink. Display ads will not do so well in this niche due to the nature of the topic.
1.5-Year Old Personal Care Site Making $786/mo on Investors Club
Type: Existing Content Site
Niche: Personal Care
Source: Investors Club
Revenue: $786/mo from Amazon Affiliate, Ezoic Display Ads
Asking Price: $26,724 at a 34X multiple using a 3-month average
- Site’s traffic is growing and at an all time high apart from the typical Q4 holiday spike
- Evergreen niche with loads of content opportunities
- Has a link from Wikipedia
- Top page gets 40%+ of the site’s traffic according to AHREFs
- Valuation based on L3M, which inflates Investor’s Club valuation of the site
- Poor Google EAT
- Nudging 792 keywords ranked 6-10 and improving ranking for just a handful of them can increase traffic by 30%+
- Performing CRO by improving the CTAs and adding relevant product links on money pages can increase revenue up to 20%, or $140/month
- Collecting emails can increase traffic and diversify traffic sources
- Finding non-Amazon affiliate offers to increase and diversify revenue
This site is in the personal care niche with no major red flags, has decent easy wins, and certainly has room for growth. The site is in a fairly common niche, but by no means does it face difficult competition.
The two biggest setbacks are items to address but do not pose immediate concerns. The other issue is something that does want to get addressed sooner rather than later, and that is the fact that the site has poor EAT. However, the solution isn’t difficult – improving the site’s theme and buffing up the team behind the site by adding more authors, improving the biographies, and having LinkedIn profiles should be more than sufficient.
Of the 4 easy wins, we think there are 2 to start with. First, the site has hundreds of keywords that are ranked 6-10, which are on the first page of Google but getting few clicks. Optimizing and updating pages these keywords will certainly boost traffic (and therefore revenue). Page optimizer tools (such as Surfer SEO and POP), adding structured data, and adding FAQs should help the site see a sizable increase in rankings and traffic.
The second easy win to target is to do CRO. The money pages are lacking some obvious product linking opportunities. If addressed, these extra affiliate links should result in more purchases and increase affiliate revenue.
🚀 Other Sites For Sale
Here are a few sites that are listed on Flippa. I have not done a detailed analysis on these because they do not fully pass my due diligence but may be worth it for you. Do your own due diligence!
- AttorneyFee.com: 22 year-old site built on an aged domain in the legal space. The domain has excellent backlinks. The owner recreated the site with some content and the site receives 2,700 pageviews/mo. The asking price is extremely high.
- LaserJudge.com: 2 year old site in the home improvement/tools niche. The site makes $150+ per month and has 62 articles. This is a typical affiliate-heavy site with no value-add.
- DopeGuides.com: 18-mo old site in the astronomy niche. Site makes $285/mo. Downward traffic trend. Too heavy on affiliate content. Domain does not align with the topic of the site.
If you are interested in learning more about these, please fill out the form below to express interest:
🚀 6 SEO Domains & 5 Brandable Domains
My team and I sifted through the marketplaces and found 6 aged SEO domains with quality backlinks and 5 branded domains that are live at auction.
6 SEO Domains
All 6 domains show at least one page still indexed in Google (using the site: search operator). A good indication that they may skip the “Google Sandbox” period for new sites that stick to the same or a similar topic. All sites also have keywords still ranking in the AHREFs index.
We share the AHREFs stats and also what the past site was about:
- KingTutExhibition.com: a site for a King Tut artifact exhibition in Los Angeles in 2018. Currently, DR of 33 with 2,301 keywords ranking.
- SessionsMusic.com: a music school in Houston, TX, starting in 2014. Currently, DR 21 with 377 keywords ranking.
- LawReader.com – a case law authority site starting in 2001. Currently, DR 29 with 811 keywords ranking.
- TexasLessTraveled.com – “The Best Kept Travel Secrets of the Lone Star State” from 2005 onwards. Currently, DR 21 with 83 keywords ranking.
- RetireWow.com – Retirement advice from several experts. Started in 2013. Currently, DR 16 with 41 keywords ranking.
- TopsCannabis.com: DR 24 with 5 keywords ranking
5 Brandable Domains
Five excellent, 2 word, brandable domains this week. Useful for niches like Crypto, personal training, money management, recycling advice, and coffee.
If you are interested in any of the deals this week, go through the specific platforms and contact the sellers. Make sure to perform detailed research and due diligence when acquiring any domains or websites.
Here are resources you should read up on: