Welcome to Week 16! Today’s Authority Business Blueprints will feature a brokered site from The Website Flip, and sites from Flippa and Niche Website Builders.
Don’t forget to check out my selection of “Other Quality Sites”, “Too Good To Be True Sites”, and “Distressed Assets” at the end.
Let’s get into the growth blueprints!
Off-Market Deal #1: ThermoGears.com
Type: Existing content site
Revenue: The website earns primarily from Amazon Associates, and ShareASale. Here are the average earnings:
- March 1-21: $1,869
- L3M: $3,056
- L6M: $2,726
- L9M: $3,052
Listing Price: $106,820
This is a 35x multiple on the last 9-months of earnings. The seller bought the site 9 months ago. The previous owners’ earnings are provided as screenshots below.
- Diversified traffic to pages (highest page at 11%)
- Not impacted by December 2020 update
- Monetized by two different affiliate programs
- The average order value is high to a hobby audience
- The website was redesigned in Q1 2021
- HARO was used to acquire high-quality backlinks (e.g., Databox, OutwitTrade, CEO Blog Nation, Legal Zoom)
AHREFs shows a drop in May 2020 google update. However, the traffic did not drop much. One of the keywords dropped positions that was bringing in bulk traffic.
- The EAT on the site could be improved (e.g., social profiles, phone number, address, etc)
- The ratio of commercial content vs informational is too high; the ratio should be fixed
- Some seasonality exists in this niche (e.g., hunting season will peak)
- Ezoic added but not claimed in P&L. Continue with Ezoic for additional revenue (~$300/mo)
- Images within buying guides are not linked to affiliate programs
- Images within comparison tables not linked to affiliate programs
- There is a French version of the site that could be built out further
- Many information keywords are not targetted
- Call-to-action buttons within guides are too small; increase font and button size
- Add page-level popups with relevant products from OpticsPlanet
This is an affiliate site in a lucrative niche covering thermal gears, which includes sights, scopes, etc.
The high-traffic pages will see more revenue if multiple affiliate programs are shown side-by-side. The current owner uses OpticsPlanet which pays out roughly 5% via the ShareASale network. The new owner should place two call-to-action buttons side-by-side for OpticsPlanet and Amazon Associates. This will increase earnings based on case study results from my outdoor site.
Also, many of the high-traffic pages have poor comparison tables with missing affiliate links. These are major easy wins.
The seller has added Ezoic recently and is not claiming it in the P&L. This is upside for the new buyer. Continuing with Ezoic will add on at least $300/mo based on a $15 RPM in this niche and approximately 22,000 pageviews last 30 days.
I estimate an additional $300/mo via Ezoic and an additional $500-$750/mo after fixing the CRO easy wins on high-traffic pages. This equates to approximately an additional $800-$1,050/mo.
Overall, a good niche that pays out well.
Interested? View P&L, screenshots
Download the screenshots and P&Ls here. Fill out the form below to get access to Google Analytics and ask any questions.
Blueprint #2: AAOM.org
Type: Content Site
Source: Flippa (see listing)
Revenue: $434/mo via Amazon Associates, Skimlinks, and Ezoic over L12M. Traffic has dropped so the average is more around $317/mo.
- Aged domain since 1996 stands for Academic Association of Medicine
- Quality backlinks from Healthline, Wikipedia, BreastCancer.org, and other such sites
- The current owner started working on it in Jan 2018
- Added 1,000 pages of content
- Poor on-page EAT. Off-page EAT is great with quality backlinks. On-page needs authors with credentials in health topics, and social profiles
- Traffic has dropped in both May and December 2020 google updates
- Add content related to hair loss, weight loss, supplements, CBD, etc. These are lucrative topics.
- Content is not formatted well; increase font-size, text spacing, etc.
- Optimize the CRO of existing high-traffic pages with better CTAs, product boxes, and product placements
- Add sidebar and popups with affiliate products
- Build a targeted email list in the various sub-niches
With the drop in traffic, using a traditional L6M or L12M average does not work. February earnings were $317 and with that as the rough average, you are looking at a value of 32x-35x thus $10,144 to $11,095 valuation.
However, this is a quality age domain with content. This has intrinsic value that must be added on to the revenue-based valuation.
The current auction price is already at $10,500. I would not be surprised if this ends in the $30,000+ range due to upside opportunities.
A few things to note: this niche is not easy. You will need to spend on quality content written by true health experts. You will spend a lot on maintaining Google EAT on this site. Just be aware of these features.
Regardless, it’s a quality domain already earning revenue. The niche is extremely lucrative if done right.
🔥 Other Quality Sites
BackpackingMastery.com: A site in the backpacking outdoor niche that’s 4 years old. The sellers have listed many sites in various niches as they are closing down business. The asking price is high based on a multiple of earnings. However, there are 530 articles on the site so that has value. Worth a look.
🙅♂️ “Too Good To Be True” Sites
GoGoMountain.com: I personally was looking at buying this to add to my portfolio of outdoor sites. The site had good authority, traffic increasing, and all content was quality written by experts. After reviewing the web archives, the site was a Chinese site for many years back in 2011. This was enough of a red flag to walk away.
That’s it for this week. If you are interested in acquiring any sites we are brokering, please fill out the form here.
These blueprints lay-out the high-level strategies to accelerate your ROI after the acquisition. Of course, the real effort is putting all of this into practice.
Make sure to review the “Too Good To Be True” and “Other Quality Site” sections. Doing as much due diligence as possible will ensure you hone your skillsets in finding good deals and opportunities in the future.