In these weekly emails, I used to only cover how to build authority websites using expired domains Going forward, I am expanding to also include growth blueprints for under-valued websites from marketplaces like Flippa, Empire Flippers, Motion Invest, among others.
These Authority Business Blueprints will now cover metrics, historical information, and easy win growth strategies.
Let’s get into it!
Blueprint #1: LinuxProgramming.com
Type: Expired domain
Niche: Computers, Technology
Age: 22 years
Backlinks: Backlinks from IBM, Red Hat Linux, SAP, many EDU websites, and 445 other referring domains.
This website featured technical and news related articles written on anything related to the Linux operating system. It was owned by Internet.com since 1997 and the domain expired. This was THE go-to resource for the Linux operating system back in the day.
Here is a snapshot of the past site:
Listed Price: $4,999
Linux has come a long way since 1997 and continues to evolve daily. There is plenty of content that can be written for this topic. This is what I would do:
- Write informative how-to tutorials about the Linux OS. You may need to hire specialists here unless you are an expert.
- Write hosting provider reviews as all use Linux as their software (e.g., Cloudways)
- Write product buying guides for computer and computer hardware, and now microcontrollers that can run Linux (e.g., Raspberry Pi)
- There is a strong DIY tech community around Linux OS. You can put together a weekly newsletter covering the details of the industry.
The opportunities here are numerous. The domain being brandable and well-known will provide the needed authority. The major issue here is that if you are not a developer, or do not have the technical know-how, it can be a tough niche to build a business in.
Blueprint #2: ArchAngelSecrets.com
Type: Existing content site
Source: Flippa (see listing)
Revenue: $305/month over last 3-months via Clickbank and Ezoic display ads
Screenshots and P&L: Download
Side note: I actually had a peek at this site before it was listed on Flippa. I was interested in buying it but afterward decided to pass since I have too many sites. I wanted to list this for all of you to have a chance at buying but the seller pushed forward with Flippa anyway.
- Monetized with Clickbank products paying 75% commissions (e.g., this one)
- Strong email drip campaigns monetized with Clickbank
- Expert written content
- Very niche audience; not much competition
- More upkeep since emails need to be sent after the drip campaign ends
- Low authority with no quality backlinks
- Built in Drupal, not WordPress
Here are my recommend easy wins with this site:
- No affiliate links or call-to-action buttons to affiliate offers within the content
- The email campaign is only 7 emails. This should be expanded. The strategy is to send 2-3 informative emails driving traffic back to on-site articles and then one promotional email with an affiliate offer.
- Add sticky Ezoic ad widget to the sidebar
- Add sticky affiliate offer widget to the sidebar
- Add video ad provider (e.g., Ex.co)
- The seller had an expert record an MP3 for the lead magnet. This expert should be hired again to record a series of MP3s and write an ebook. This can be sold as digital products on the site. Utilize Thrive Cart plugin with upsells.
- Google EAT is weak on the site. Create a better about page and include more authoritative info in the site footer.
- Remove social media links/icons. These are distractions.
- No related posts at end of articles
These are the type of easy wins I cover in my battle-tested database over at EasyWins.io.
Check out 100+ more strategies.
The site currently makes $305 on average over the last 3-months. Applying the above easy wins, in my opinion, can get the income up to an average of $500+ per month within 1-2 months. Then, adding more keyword-focused content, collecting emails over time into the drip campaign, and expanding the number of emails can get the income to $1,000-$1,500 per month.
Email marketing will provide business longevity. Organically, the competition is low so it can be sustainable without day-to-day upkeep.
Blueprint #3: Triumfant.com
Type: Expired domain
Niche: Technology, Security
Age: 2006 (14 years old)
Backlinks: Notable backlinks from Forbes, Bloomberg, Entrepreneur, Wikipedia, ZDNet, and 226 other referring domains.
Triumfant was a security software company.Their software provided real-time malware detection, security policy management, incident reporting, and more.
Here is a snapshot of the past site:
Listed Price: $6,410
Authority sites that review software services make a killing. Most software companies provide high commission rates, and some provide recurring commissions. This site would be a perfect fit to develop an authority content business discussing security technologies.
This is what I would do:
- Write informative content on how to protect your computer, devices, servers, etc. from malware and viruses
- Write dedicated product reviews for anti-virus and malware software
- The domain is generic enough that over-time you can brand out to other shoulder software niches
Check out this snapshot of three top anti-virus software and their payouts:
These are just the published rates. With these affiliate networks (e.g., MaxBounty), you will get a dedicated affiliate manager. As you ramp up the volume of leads, you can then push the manager to increase the payout per lead.
Remember the affiliate providers are just middlemen. As you increase sales, you can go directly to these companies, like Norton, and negotiate a better deal.
I did this with my dating/relationship site. Use the affiliate networks to test and gather data, then go direct. The company will use the internal data they have from sales you’ve sent them to verify and then offer you a better rate. I was able to bump my per lead revenue from $45 to $60 in a few hours by going direct.
These blueprints lay-out the high-level strategies to accelerate your ROI after the acquisition. Of course, the real effort is putting all of this into practice. Let me know if any questions!