Welcome to Week 26! Today’s Authority Business Blueprints features sites from Flippa (real estate and digital product niche), and domain from ODYS (wine niche).
Make sure to check out the “other quality sites” section where I cover two under-valued starter sites for sale on Flippa.
Let’s get into the growth blueprints!
Blueprint #1: Log-Cabin-Connection.com
Type: Existing Content Site
Niche: Construction and real estate
Source: Flippa (see listing here)
Revenue: $100/mo via Amazon Associates & Google Adsense
Due Diligence Dashboard
- Quality backlinks from SF Gate, eHow, Hunker, and various niche relevant domains
- Aged since 2008
- Diversified keyword anchor texts
- Quality content is written by experts
- Outdated theme that requires a full revamp (easy win as well)
- Highest traffic page is at 15% but the next highest is at 6%. Needs more diversification.
- Domain is not branded. Domain has hyphens which is not ideal
- Monetize with digital products showing how to create cabins. Clickbank is a good source for such digital products with 75% commissions
- Switch to Ezoic from Google Adsense
This is an aged site with a good backlink profile. The content on the site is aged with various topics already covered. This is the type of site you can acquire, revamp to 2021 standards with a new theme, plugins, etc., and add new monetization.
The seller has a buy-it-now price listed of $25,000, which is extremely rich. I would value this site at a multiple of 35x of it’s current earnings of $100/mo, thus $3,500. However, you will need to add a premium for the site age and backlink profile. I would envision an additional $3,000 to $5,000 for that.
All in all, I think a value of $6,500 to $8,500 is justified for this website.
Do understand that this is not a “easy win” homerun. You cannot just buy it and let it sit to recoup your investment. Further investment in growth will be needed. This is a distressed asset that has intrinsic value.
Blueprint #2: CultivateWines.com
Type: Aged Domain
Age: 2010 (11 years old)
Listed Price: $3,430
Backlinks: This domain has notable backlinks from Tasting Table, Constant Contact, Mercury News, Scientific American, Cooking Light, The Manual, and more.
This domain was owned by a company called Cultivate, which sold its own Pinot Noir wine. The site also included a blog with their mission being “a fuller life for all”.
They planned on investing 10% of their profits in their first adopted school, Harvest Middle School, in Napa Valley to support a leadership program.
Here is a snapshot of the past site:
The win niche is lucrative. Customers do not hold back when buying wine. There are also many affiliate programs that pay out 15% or more commissions on products ordered.
This is what I would do:
- Write informative content on the top wineries to visit, how to pick a wine, different characteristics of wine, etc.
- Write guides on how to choose wine for under $50, under $100, under $500, etc.
Keep in mind that this is a competitive niche so make sure to do keyword research to see if there is low-hanging fruit.
Blueprint #3: SuppliersData.com
Type: Digital Products
Source: Flippa (see listing here)
Revenue: $331/mo from digital product sales using Gumroad
- Revenues from two digital products (main database plus eComRepository); not promoting other’s products
- The product can be easily copied. No protection.
- No organic traffic thus need to understand where traffic is flowing from
- The landing page and copy needs to be improved
- Gumroad platform is not good at maximizing conversions; use ThriveCart instead.
- Add content: Add a blog with content related to dropshipping how-tos, affiliate products related to dropshipping, strategies, and more. The homepage will naturally bring in backlinks which will be funneled into the content. This is a great way to get a stronghold into the dropshipping/marketing education niche.
- Monetize email list: email list is not being monetized or being sent an email campaign. Giveaway the eComRepository product for free as a lead magnet and lead the customer into buying the dropship database
- Increase prices: $29.99 may be too low. If the data is truly valuable, it’s worthwhile to charge 2x-3x more since it saves a ton of time for individuals.
- Use Gumroad Popups instead of individual landing page: when clicking the CTA, “Get Access Now!”, it redirects the user to a separate landing page. Instead, use the popup functionality in Gumroad for increased conversions.
- Improve homepage: The landing page does not showcase the true value of the database. Add sections such as Features, reasons to buy, and customer feedback.
This is slightly different type of business then I usually review. The reason I chose this is because (1) it already gets sales, and (2) is an informational product that helps people.
Usually, most niche website builders build sites and add content. However, adding content to a site that already sells a product is much more lucrative.
This is what I would do:
- Implement the easy wins immediately
- Add a blog page, and add content related to dropshipping tutorials, strategies, and reviews of dropshipping services/tools viewers can use
- Funnel users from the content back to the homepage to purchase the digital product
The business currently makes around $330/mo. At a 35x multiple, that equates to $11,550. I would pay up this amount to obtain this site and then build out a content site in this niche.
Other Quality Sites
There has been an influx of starter sites for sale on Flippa. These can be good ones to acquire and continue building. Make sure to check out the article on how to value non-revenue generating niche sites for a valuation calculator you can use.
This site is 7-months old. Built on a freshly registered domain. The site has 50 articles. The site ranks for 200 keywords according to AHREFs. The backlink profile is clean. A good starter site with a buy-it-now of $999. My calculations put the value at around $2,000 or more. View on Flippa.
This is a 6-month old site built on a fresh domain. The site has 53 articles. The site ranks for 12 organic keywords according to AHREFs. The backlink profile is clean. The buy it now is $999 but with the amount of the content, the true value is around $2,000 or more. View on Flippa.
These blueprints lay out the high-level strategies to accelerate your ROI after the acquisition. Of course, the real effort is putting all of this into practice.
Doing as much due diligence as possible will ensure you hone your skillsets in finding good deals and opportunities in the future.