Welcome to Week 3! Today’s Authority Business Blueprints will feature a hand-picked website from Flippa, and a domain from Niche Website Flipper.
Let’s get into the growth blueprints!
Blueprint #1: SiegfriedsCall.com
Type: Expired Domain
Source: Niche Website Flippers
This is a package deal for the domain, site build, and content:
- Domain: $1,500
- Site Build + 100K content: $6,495
- Total: $7,995
Backlinks: Backlinks from Wikipedia, UKMC university, Ithaca university, Trumpet Herald, and 105 other niche relevant domains.
This business operated since 2008. From 2008 to 2015, they imported brass instruments from Germany and sold them in the United States. They changed in 2015 to a family-operated horn outfitter based in NYC. Their goal was to help horn musicians obtain the finished sound from hand-crafted brass instruments. They closed down on December 2019. The domain expired in September 2020.
Here is a snapshot of the past site:
The blueprint for this is simple: create an authority website covering musical instruments.
This is what I would do specifically:
- Write informative content on specific musical instruments (e.g., trumpets). Cover tutorials on how to play, tune, and take care of the instruments.
- Do in-depth buying guides and product reviews of musical instruments
- Develop digital products (e.g., courses, music sheets)
This site can be well-monetized with display ads, Amazon Associates, and other affiliate programs for music, e.g., Guitar Center.
A few competitors you can mimic:
There are backlinks pointing to subpages that align well with an affiliate “/collections/horn-cases” has backlinks. This can be recreated by creating a category in WordPress called “collections”, and then a page with a URL slug of “horn-cases”. Then, write-up a detailed guide on horn cases.
Blueprint #2: PitbullLovers.com
Type: Existing content site
Source: Flippa (see listing)
Revenue: $508/month over last 6-months via Amazon Associates, and Digital E-Book sales
Google Analytics traffic:
- Diversified revenue with e-book sales via the Gumroad platform
- Diversified traffic to different pages
- No impact during Google’s December 2020 Core update
- No Google EAT (i.e., no About page, no authors, no social media)
- The site was hit by Google’s May 2020 Core update
Here are my recommend easy wins with this site:
- Transition to Thrive Cart from Gumroad for higher-conversion rates
- Implement a popup (Optin Monster, ConvertBox) to funnel visitors to the landing page for e-book
- Immediately add display ads (e.g., Ezoic) for increased revenue
- Add comparison tables to high-traffic buying pages (e.g., this page about harnesses)
- Replace Amazon button links with Amazon product boxes using the AAWP plugin
- Add affiliate links within the content
- Test Chewy affiliate program for further revenue
- Reduce the size of Featured Image and remove social media share links on all articles. These are distractions.
The pet niche is lucrative with high-conversion rates year-round. This site is well-positioned in a sub-niche of the overall pet vertical.
The site was both impacted by Google May 2020 update and Amazon’s commission cuts in April 2020.
What would I pay?
The current revenue of $508/month over last 6-months factors in the Amazon commission cuts and the traffic decrease. At a multiple of 32 times monthly average, the value as it stands today is $16,256.
Adding display ads with the current traffic levels can add an additional $150/mo. Implemented the comparison tables and improving the conversion rate of high-traffic pages, can increase revenue by $50-$100 per month. Pushing the digital products further across the website will increase revenue from digital e-book sales, however, this is difficult to estimate.
Altogether, you could pay anywhere between $16,256 to $22,656. In reality, I would target somewhere around $19,000.
If you are looking to enter the pet niche, this would be a good pick up.
These blueprints lay-out the high-level strategies to accelerate your ROI after the acquisition. Of course, the real effort is putting all of this into practice.